Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sphere of Influence




One of the hallmarks of stem cells is that single cells can form spheres under the right conditions: For example, from the breast, they are called "mammospheres".

Last night, I presented my work on cancer stem cells from the retina. One of the attendees came up to me, pointed at my photograph of spheres and said angrily, "Don't call those neurospheres!"


I asked, "Why not?"


Attendee: "Because it doesn't sound right! What does this have to do with the nervous system?!"


I answered, "The retina is part of the central nervous system. It's filled with neurons. I think it's OK to call them neurospheres."


Attendee: "Oh." And she walked away.


OK, you had to be there.

7 comments:

InternetJunkie said...

Buehler, Buehler...

*crickets*

eyedoc333 said...

Hey, a comment!

Cool.

;)

InternetJunkie said...

I would have come up with something a little more scientific but American Idol was on.

*heavy sarcasm*

Snerd Gronk said...

Well Doc, I clearly don't move in the same spheres as you, but it does appear to me, that you were able to get the ball rolling, with this person.

Snerd

Snerd Gronk said...

Oh ... And I think it took some nerve for her to claim she did not see the retina as part of the CNS.

Ironic that she snaps due to that knowledge gap ... but your response did 'sent-der-on' her way ... happier for the connection, apparently ...

Snerd

Unknown said...

a headline too!

"Attempted "Grand Snobbery Knowledge" event foiled by an undaunted smarty pants liberal"

(film at 11)

eyedoc333 said...

I like it!