Sunday, June 17, 2007

Wish Me Luck!




It's that time of the season again, when academic researchers all over the country submit their grant proposals for review to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). It's a crapshoot these days. The success rate for new proposals sent to NIH hovered around 10% last year. That means 90% of these proposals, translating into months of hard work and brainpower, were trashed. But the way I figure it, if you don't submit a proposal at all, you have a 0% chance of success. It's sort of like the motto of the New York State Lottery-- "You've gotta be in it to win it."


And so, I sent my proposal to NIH on Friday. They've already messed it up by creating a 50 page pdf document of my proposal, but leaving 3 blank pages where my letters of collaboration should be. But, we'll get that straightened out in the next day or two.

The review cycle at NIH is very long. My proposal, submitted June 15th, will receive a score from the review panel in Oct./Nov, and the funding decisions based on scores will be in January. The earliest start date for the project (when the NIH check would arrive) is April 1.

Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Heather Kirkwood said...

Just curious, does the NIH allow you to submit your proposal to other funding sources at the same time it's being reviewed by NIH?

eyedoc333 said...

You can submit the same proposal to other agencies at the same time. However, you cannot accept funding from more than one agency for the identical project (eg. "double-dipping"). So in the unlikely event that you get two agencies accepting your proposal for funding, you actually have to turn one down. That's a problem I'd like to have someday! ;)

KEvron said...

knock 'em dead, 'doc!

KEvron

eyedoc333 said...

Will do! Thanks, KEv.

Anonymous said...

Dear eyedoc,

I have followed your blog for some time now, and would like to wish you much luck on your proposal, I am a research subject at NIH, and think it would be nice if you could work on HPS. My website is www.myspace.com/karenshpskorner I actually heard about you from my friend Heather Kirkwood some time ago. Again take care and good luck, Karen Tillman

eyedoc333 said...

Thanks, Karen!

And thanks to you and Heather for helping advance the knowledge of HPS by volunteering for the research studies at NIH.