Thursday, April 06, 2006

An A-MAIZE-ing Woman


Barbara McClintock earned her B.S. M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in botany at Cornell University during the 1920's. At the time, women were not permitted to major in genetics at Cornell. Yet, she pursued the genetic study of maize (corn). Her long and successful career took her to the University of Missouri, and the California Institute of Technology, as well as a brief post-doctoral fellowship in pre-war Germany. Her work was recognized with the Nobel Prize in Medicine. You have to love this quote she gave in 1983, at the time she won the Nobel Prize:
"Over the many years, I truly enjoyed not being required to defend my interpretations. I could just work with the greatest of pleasure. I never felt the need nor the desire to defend my views. If I turned out to be wrong, I just forgot that I ever held such a view. It didn't matter."

It appears that she also had an EAR for music:


1 comment:

Snerd Gronk said...

McClintock is clearly someone who was able to take STOCK of her life and therefore deal with the MAZE of educationally obstruction ... rather NOBELY

Snerd